Tuesday, July 22, 2008

What Being A Good Parent Entails


Hi friends,

I am asking you today, what do you think makes a good parent?

I have been re-evaluating my parenting... a lot of changes have been made in the last two years. I have good reasons for doing so. My children's needs have changed, I am adapting.


Here are some things I do TRY to be a good parent:


  • I feel that giving a listening ear is all-important... remember, I have a 13 yo girl.

  • Exposing my child to all kinds of opportunities, experiences, etc.

  • Allowing them to make mistakes that are not life-endangering but that are needed for life.

  • Providing sustenance & covering, to say the least!!

Of course, there are many more ways to be a good parent to your child, personally... thankfully, that is not "across-the-board" for all families!! That is the privilege of becoming a parent, giving each child at each age, what they need... each family being different... providing them what they need from you, when they need it. It is rewarding... though I am not sure of any titles being won lately from any of my friends, as parents. And that is okay.


That is the thing: we do this, not for commendation, not for recognition, but for the emotional well-being for each of our children. It is not always a "thankless" job... sometimes they show their appreciation, in the little things they do.


So, what do YOU think makes a good parent?

Please comment. Do tell.


Kelly

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to think about this question (it's something I've actually been pondering a lot lately) You've been "tagged."

http://tribeof3feistykids.blogspot.com/