Tuesday, January 8, 2008

New perspective on Being Married to an Aspie

Communication is a problem with most with Asperger's. Being in a relationship is even more problematic, sometimes. I found this perspective from a Yahoo Support Group to have it "right-on", in terms of what it is like to be in a relationship with an Aspie (as one with Asperger's, is so affectionately called)
I ♥ him!!! He is great anyhow! lol

For a Successful, AS/NT marriage (Asperger's Syndrome/ Non-Typical)-
"communication can be very rewarding, but it does take a great deal of effort.
As an NT I speak "duck". Being in an AS/NT marriage I've had to learn to translate my duck into AS 'goose', then the goose response needs to be translated back into duck so I can process it, then myNT/duck thoughts must be translated into goose - on and on like that until both AS goose and I, the NT duck are on the same page, or at least in the same book - sometimes the same library will have to do"

1 comment:

Mariah Myles said...

I married an guy who has A.S. We've been married for almost 3 years now. Before I married him,his parents told that he has asperger syndrome,a word I never heard before.. I am a foriegner here in this country(U.S.) so I really don't know what asperger syndrome meant.So his parents explained it to me and they give me a book in order for me to understand it. Inspite of all the things I've read and things that his parents told me, I said to myself that I could help there son.I married him!

Now I don't know if I'm still happy being married with him. We have alot of differences,and I don't know how to do...Sometimes I am so depressed that I sometimes would think to kill myself, rather than living with him. And sometimes I will tell myself that maybe I will just go back to my native land and stay there for good. That I will work hard, save money to go back to my family in my native land. I don't know, I am so confuse and depress.


Mariah